2013 COTE d'AZUR
A good year ahead on the French Riviera
There are many reasons to feel happy about living on the Côte d'Azur. However, sometimes I feel those of us who live here all-year round simply take it for granted. So, in the spirit of starting the year with positive thoughts, here are a few of my favourite things about Nice and the French Riviera generally.
- Blue skies. We have around 300 days of sunshine a year
- Sitting outside in mid-winter at a beach-side restaurant having moules and frites and drinking rosé
- Every day seeing the Mediterranean sea from my terrace.
- Coco beach in Nice - for afficionados only because of the rocks but the best place to sunbathe in the city
- Driving along the Grande Corniche in an open-top car - the route of Grace Kelly and Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief
- A walk along the beaches and coastline of St Jean Cap Ferrat
- Knowing my local boulangerie bakes the best bread in the world in a wood-fired oven every day
- Driving to Italy for the market at San Remo and having lunch
- A swim at Villefranche in September when the crowds and jellyfish have gone
- Going to the Cannes Film Festival and not being a tourist
- Catching the tram to the market at Liberation in Nice - the best market in town
- Going to the opera/ballet/classical concert in Monaco as if it were an everyday event
- Enjoying not going to supermarkets for shopping - every day
- Being able to wear summer clothes for around 9 months of the year (and also never feeling over-dressed. A girl can never have enough sparkle here)
- The warmth (and wildness) of people who live here
I could add many more things about living here but a list has to stop sometime.
Happy NEW YEAR from the Côte d'Azur.